Saturday, April 10, 2010

Holy Cheese, the Cheesin' chick is missing!




Tonight Peeka and I thought we lost a chick. Once I took their daily photograph, she put them on the floor and played with them for over an hour. They perched on her, pooped on her and played with her. There was also a great deal of hiding from her so they could get some sleep. They are after all still babies and need lots of sleep to get bigger and out of my office. When it was time to put them back in their little wood shaving bed we counted them. One through eleven. Eleven? There's supposed to be twelve. We counted again. We took them all out of the tote, one by one. Eleven.




Then the frantic searching began. We moved boxes, the garbage can, looked under the filing cabinet, my desk, out in Peeka's playroom, just in case the crazy chick squeezed under the door. No chick. Then I thought I might have lost my mind and there had only been eleven. I found one chick the floor this morning, given that my office door was locked, I assumed she'd been tossed by the other chicks. But maybe there had been two to get the boot, voted out of the tote. So I went to the photographic evidence, the picture I'd taken an hour before. Ten, eleven and twelve. Well shit, or as Peeka says, cheese. She's working on no swearing as much and using cheese as well as other foods to replace swear words. The other day she told me that someone called Danielle a slut. But she thought that was a bad word so now Danielle is a broccoli.




Anyway, there were supposed to be twelve chicks. Peeka's the chicken mom and I am, I suppose, the chicken grama. So once we looked everywhere and it started to look like maybe one of the beagles had a late night snack, we found the little chick. She was sleeping under an overturned dog bowl. Peeka picked her up, kissed her little beak and said "You scared your Momma. Don't you ever do that again. I was so worried. You're grounded. Now go to your room." She kissed the little chick again, said I love you and looked at me. "I told you we'd find her. You worry too much."



Heavy sigh. No shit, I mean, cheese! How can I not worry? There's so many things that can go wrong in the blink of an eye. So many times have I thought the absolute worse, when if I'd just turned over the dog bowl and avoided all the worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment