Thursday, April 15, 2010

Pandora Music Box Tribute



Meatloaf. I love meatloaf. I know you’re thinking that’s an odd thing to mention, as if I were hoping someone out there in cyber space would invite me over to dinner since they know I love meatloaf. Ah that makes me feel old, jumping to the conclusion that the meatloaf in my life is not a concoction of ground beef, eggs, onions and spices and copious amounts of Heinz 57.

My pronouncement of love for meatloaf is over the strong vocals, long hair sweat man, Meatloaf. When I didn’t have the words for my teenage angst, I took the words out his mouth. I lost my virginity to a Meatloaf song. I want to say it was to Paradise by the Dashboard Light but I think it was over before we got to that song, but I do remember sobbing in his arms many times when Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad played endless on my record player. Which was finally explained when I found out a few years later that while he wanted me and needed me but he was never going to love me, since he loved men. It happens more often than you might think. It’s happened to me twice. I’ve recently gotten in back in touch with this man, and despite a nearly twenty year separation, and I feel like we’ve not been separated for very long. He’s still easy to talk to, smart and still gorgeous….all the reasons I loved him in the first place.

I’ve always been attracted to smart, sensitive beautiful men. My first kiss, the kind of kiss that made my stomach flip flop and girly parts heat up, was with a sweet, smart boy with the biggest eyes and fullest lips. Our song was Crazy Little Thing Called Love. I’m not sure he knew it was our song, but I heard it on the AM station every morning as I was getting ready hoping to see him on the way to school. Sadly our little love affair was short, as his slightly bigger, more aggressive twin wanted to play too. While I loved the sweetness of one, I still had a thing for bad boys, if only for one night of playing hid and seek in my backyard.

What is really spurring this dance down memory lane is the online radio station I’m listening to. To set up my profile I was asked my favorite artist. I’ve not really listened to music since 1994, soI fell back on my classic answer to the question, “If you could only have on CD (formerly, LP) on desert island, what would it be?” Meatloaf’s Bat Out of Hell. Now armed with Meatloaf, Pandora Radio is trying to map out my likes and dislikes, which I’m going to have to say is pretty spot on. I’ve been bounced from one relationship to another in my music memory tripping.

I’ve been back to dance in the 8th grade with Rod Stewart, a spin the bottle party with Steve Parry and the boys from Journey, crying because of god knows what with my headphones on with REO Speedwagon. Whenever I hear music from my childhood I’m brought back to that time. Jessie’s Girl just came on and now I’m at the Hard Rock Café in Vegas dancing with my husband, who, just months before told me he too liked men. Loving smart, sweet, sensitive men…my growing up was never dull and I have music to thank for reminding me year after year.

No comments:

Post a Comment