Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Chicken Momma



It's been nearly a year since I've been here writing about life, chickens and such. Have a missed it? Not so much. I write all over the place, but never seem to stay with it. My Facebook page is well viewed, maybe beyond well viewed...but I'm trying to keep in touch with family and old friends, make new friends, develop a platform so once I get my novel out in the world people will already know my name. And this my dear, takes a great deal of work! If only it was paying work. I'm thinking of it was more of an investment in my future. I just hope not to miss too much of my present.




Having said that, my office is once again the home of peeking chicks, squeaking ducks, two of the cutest bunnies in the world and a thrilled five year old who believes she's a cross between a mother hen and high-seas pirate teaching each of her little peeps to perch on her shoulder. Every day she begs to be a chicken momma, gathering the little peeping, pecking and pooping babies in her pouch. This is often her favorite dress or a once clean t-shirt. Either way, once she gets them safely tucked in, she sits. Sits still. It's worth all the chicken and duck poop on my office floor to see her still. She's never still. Always in motion, except when she's chicken momma. Then she's still. Tucked in safely against Chicken Momma, the peeps sleep. My girl is still and I am in awe.




We only have a few weeks of this peeping stillness, but I think I will do this every spring until she leaves for college. We'll have a shit load of chickens, but it will be worth the five minutes of stillness every evening I get with my daughter.




Oh yeah, did I mention the goats?

No comments:

Post a Comment